I am writing this as the entire world is essentially on lock-down, encouraging social distancing & self-isolation due to the new corona virus. It’s 2020, but governments are shutting down borders and flight routes are being cancelled by the minute. We have nowhere to travel to but our own backyards.
However I work as a travel agent and always see the passion people have for travel. For adventure, perspective, relaxation, learning, and endless other reasons. I’ve been learning from other travel agents what it was like to work through 9/11, or even the rise of the internet with online booking sites. How the travel industry has shifted, but their service of curating dreams for others did not. The travel industry is always changing and morphing, but it always exists. It will continue to exist.
So while we are restricted from traveling now, we can still prepare & dream for when the privilege is once more made available.
In the spirit of staying inspired, here are 26 truly amazing experiences you can have from Italy travel. (One of my favorite destinations from a recent 6-month trip around the world!)
1. Try to evade vertigo while climbing the Leaning Tower of Pisa.
2. Taste wines in the absolutely picturesque vineyards of Tuscany.
3. Indulge in a new flavor of rich gelato from a different shop each day, because you can.
4. Claim a beach chair at one of the beach clubs of the famous & picturesque Amalfi Coast.
5. Crowd into Vatican City to lay eyes on the Sistine Chapel.
(Appreciate that a rule against photography allows you to stay in the moment!)
6. Seek out the little-known Colosso dell’Appennino cave sculpture.
7. Tour the Colosseum, Palatine Hill, and Roman Forum and imagine ancient times.
8. Eat freshly-made pasta tossed in a flaming Parmesan cheese wheel. Feel inspired to take your own cooking class.
9. Boat over to the island of Capri to behold the yachts & glamour.
10. Visit the smaller Venice islands of Murano & Burano to see brightly colored fishermen’s houses, handmade lace, and blown glass.
11. Take in sweeping vistas from the rugged coastlines of Cinque Terre.
12. Feel giddy during a sunrise hike or at an alpine lake in the Dolomites.
13. View more famous artwork than you can keep track of in the museums of Florence, like Michelangelo’s Statue of David.
14. Order espressos from charming cafes, then stand at the counter as you drink them from demitasse cups.
15. Ride in a cable car through the Alps, with the sound of cow bells ringing up through the valleys. A quintessential Alps experience.
16. Wander through the surreal streets of Pompeii, and hike the volcano that wiped out the ancient city, Mt. Vesuvius.
17. Walk the cobblestone streets of a medieval town.
18. Lounge lakeside or stroll along the banks of Lake Como.
19. Try your favorite Italian foods in the regions where they originated. Cannoli: Sicily. Pesto: Genoa. Pizza: Naples.
20. View The Last Supper fresco by Leonardo da Vinci in Milan.
21. Hire a gondola to ride through the romantic canals of Venice.
22. Toss a coin into the Trevi Fountain for good fortune.
23. Sip limoncello as a disgestif after some of the best multi-course dinners of your life.
24. Hike the Path of the Gods, a hiking trail from Positano along the Amalfi Coast, taking in unreal coastal views.
25. Receive a Papal blessing from the Pope in Saint Peter’s Square.
26. Lose track of the number of stunning basilicas & piazzas you visit.
So there, in no particular order, are 26 amazing amazing things you can do in Italy. Everyone can find something to fall in love with! Comment below if I am missing some of your favorite experiences/day dreams.
Speaking of travel dreams, there is definitely a lull in planning & booking new trips for clients right now. So in my new downtime I am working on additional training & certifications. But also getting so carried away researching new destinations & itineraries, and getting inspired for the future! I feel giddy just from the planning stages, so I think I’m in the right profession.
If you are ready to plan for future travel, or if you are curious about the process of using a travel agent in general, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.